Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Other Home

I actually live in two places.

My primary residence is in Novato, California.  I spend about six weeks out of every eight living there (not counting all of the nights I am suppose to be there but am actually in a hotel somewhere.)

The other two weeks out of eight, I spend in Biatorbagy, Hungary.  My wife, Erika, is Hungarian and lives in Biatorbagy, except for the times she comes to California to be with me.

Biatorbagy is a small village about 12 miles west of Budapest.  It can trace its beginnings back to the 12th century.  Today, it has just under 10,000 inhabitants.

The most notable feature of the village is a viaduct to nowhere.  At sometime in the past, this carried a train through town.  As far as I know, it hasn't been used for decades.  that doesn't keep it from being one of the most notable landmarks in the area.
Erika and I live in a new development on the southwest side of the village.  If you look for Biatorbagy on GoogleEarth, you can see the development.  Here is a photo of Erika in our backyard with our dog, Echo.
The trip takes about 15 to 18 hours from liftoff to touchdown each way.  Typically, there is a connection in Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment