Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Live from SFO

Today is a travel day.

A quick trip to Kansas City and back tomorrow.  Then lot's of travel after that.

I don't mind traveling, but I've been home for a couple of weeks and I get used to it.

Safety Tip of the Day:  Don't go to I-Hop when you are starving.  I ate 6 blueberry pancakes with blueberries on top and blueberry syrup on the side.  Bliss and about 10,000 calories.

As I was leaving I-hop, I saw that they give seniors free meals after 3 pm - buy one get one free.  I thought how nice it would be for someone to take their old grandpa out for some pancakes.  I then made the mistake of asking how old do you need to be to qualify as a senior citizen.  Turns out to be 55.  This was devastating. I am about 20 months away from qualifying.  How did I get to be this old?  From the inside looking out, I'm still 12.

Joplin, Mo took a big hit and the stories are gripping.  People wonder how I live in California with the constant threat of the ground opening up and swallowing you whole.  I tell them, "First of all, that almost never happens."  I wonder how people can live in places where the sky can reach down in an instant and swat an entire city flat.

I saw a reporter that arrived on the scene just after it happened.  He was so stunned he couldn't talk.

The GOP plan to rework Medicare has 80% of the American people against it.  Paul Ryan, the GOP budget guy said the following: "We are leaders and we need to do what we think is right, not what the public wants."  He then took a breath and said, "We will work to change the polls because that is what the public wants."

I am paraphrasing here but you get the gist.  It's a big GOP tagline to say, "The American people want us to do this and that."  If they say that, then it must be true, right?

I see Pawlenty has entered the presidential race for the GOP.  I've heard good things about him but will have to do some research.  I think the GOP should probably just send up a sacrificial candidate.  Obama is set to beat anyone in a landslide.  After a smack-down, it will be hard to be credible the next time you run (2016).

I saw the following LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT as a short-hand for texting.  It's for when something is really, really funny.  It means I laughed my ass off so hard my sombrero fell of and I dropped my taco.

Interesting statistic: You are 25% more likely to die from a gunshot wound in Washington D.C. than in battle in either Iraq or Afghanistan.  Word is we will be pulling out of D.C. sometime later next year after a peaceful handover to local gang leaders.

Speaking of gangs.  At the first Giants/Dodgers game this year, a Giant's fan was beaten into a coma where he remains to this day.  His offense -wearing a Giants shirt.  This took place at Dodger stadium.  Last week, they finally made an arrest.  The accused is a known gang member that was turned in by his parole officer.  The accused mom is pleading that they got the wrong guy because, "My son would never do that."

Hmmmm....

Windows 8 is coming out in 2012.  I'm hopeful but not optimistic.  Every third iteration of Microsoft's Operating Systems is a keeper.  However, Windows 8 is supposed to let you talk to your computer and say things like, "Set up my travel plans for a trip to Kansas City."  It's also suppose to recognize your hand signals like the Wii.

Quote for the day:

“Great is the man who does not lose his child mind.” Meng-Tes (372 B.C. – 289 B.C.)

I have to catch a plane...there is world saving afoot and I need to get to it.

Up, up and away...

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment