Monday, May 16, 2011

News-a-Palooza

I take a day off and my plate fills up with stuff that I'm just sure you need to know about.

So here we go...

The front runner for the presidency of France is a guest of New York's finest after having been pulled out of his first class seat and taken in for some mug shots.  Seems he is accused of attacking a female chambermaid.  So far, the news from France is, "Yeah, that sounds like him."

House Leader Boehner said something that I actually agree with.  He said that uncertainty in the economy is causing businesses to hold onto their money.  This is true.  Companies will wait during a period of either growth or recession to see where things will steady out.  The irony here is that the economy is uncertain because the GOP is threatening to not raise the debt ceiling.  (More on that in a moment).  The economy doesn't need to be booming for investors to spend.  It just needs to be steady.

Interestingly, Boehner went on to say that tax cuts for the rich will create jobs.  He said that as if it means the same thing as "uncertainty".  This just shows how little he understands what he is actually talking about.  It's as if his writers are trying to insert keywords into his talking points regardless of whether or not they create complete sentences.

During the interview...
Question: "What specifically do the Republicans want to cut."
Answer by Boehner: "America is on a spending spree."

Really?  I don't see it.  I see cutting all over the place.  I see federal workers taking mandatory days off.  I see teachers with 45 students in their classrooms.  I see police being laid off.  This "Spending Spree" is just another catch phrase for "I think you are stupid enough to vote for me in spite of my lack of facts."

The GOP is threatening to not raise the debt ceiling.  Those that agree with this don't understand this, and that is what the GOP is banking on. They know the impact of not raising the debt ceiling as well as anyone.  So they are bluffing.

Here is what will happen if the debt ceiling is not raised.  Our credit as a country will drop.  Poorer credit means higher interest rates.  The moment the GOP fails to raise the debt ceiling, they will be creating an additional finance payment that runs into the billions every month. Social Security checks won't go out either.  That's just a sampling.  This is much bigger than the government shutdown threatened a month ago.

Onward...

Newt is running and Huckabee is out.

Newt smiles for the camera and says, "Together we can do great things."  I had to brace myself, certain his head was going to explode.  I don't know that if there has ever, in the history of the world, been words spoken that are more in conflict with the character of the person speaking them.  Newt is the Continental Divide of politicians.

As for Huckabee.  I actually think he is a nice guy but him as president is too...Jesus-ie?  An analyst said, "Huckabee dropping out will open up the vote for the Evangelical Right."  Wow! I'm not sure what that means but it scares the hell out of me.

Go to Youtube.com and type in "time lapse."  You will see some cool stuff.

Cub reporter Janyce found an article about how the health care industry is raising rates.  They are doing this is spite of the fact that people are not using their services.  We pay for health care but avoid going to the doctor because of deductibles and such.  So, the providers just pocket the money.  When asked why they feel they need to charge more even though profits are way up, they responded with, "The economy will eventually turn around and then people will go to the doctor so we want to have money in the bank in case that happens."

This is why we need health care reform.  Obamacare had some hits and some misses. I still think we have a long way to go.

China is selling cases for the yet-to-be-released iphone 5.  They know what the phone will look like before we do.  My guess is that they have dissected one already and are busy making clones.  This guess is based on the fact that they have done this 100% of the time thus far.

Word on the street is that China has bought the tail rotor from the Pakastanis.  This is the part of the stealth helicopter that survived the crash.  The Chinese already have a stealth plane.  They were able to reverse engineer one by buying parts of one of ours that crashed in the Iraqi countryside.  They actually went around to farmers and such and bought bit and pieces.

If I were from China, I think I would be embarrassed by this.

Pakistan continues to denounce our foray into their country.  They have already stepped up security by adding the following question to their customs form: "Are you a terrorist and if so, how many bombs have you brought with you today?"

For those of you from Novato, I am going to start blogging in the Novato Patch.  This is an online local newspaper.  They want me to blog about local stuff...hmmm.  I'm wondering if they are aware of my superhero status.

For those of you that "click as you leave"  keep up the good work.  I appreciate it.

Time to save the world.

Up, up and away...

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment