Thursday, June 2, 2011

What's going on out there?


This just in:  Apparently, the Church of Scientology is accused of being involved in a scandal involving sexual abuse of a minor.  A young girl said the following was told to her -after being abused by a senior church member - on how to testify to authorities: "Just say no. Don’t say yes, because otherwise you will be taken away from your parents and you’ll never see your family again."  The guy that coached her to testify thusly, a guy names Eastgate, later received the church's highest award.
I expect the Church of Scientology to contact me about a law suit any time with regards to the previous paragraph.  It's in their nature.
I read a Time Magazine expose on Scientology a few years back.  It seems that this group by thousands of copies of their own book Dianetics, just to keep it on the bestseller list.
Elsewhere...
Germany is planning on building more fossil fuel plants to replace 100% of their nuclear plants.  It seems they would rather live in a polluted world than to live in fear of the next big nuclear accident.  Not the choice I would make.
I think that if we knew what was next - after we die, we would spend less time being afraid of the monsters in our closets.
Here is a map of AIDS cases in the United States.  I found this interesting.
A Japanese group wants to put enough solar panels on the moon to power all of the Earth's needs.  Interestingly, we already have the technology to do this, including power beams to send the power back to Earth.  All we need to do is find the will to spend the money.  It would take a global effort and decades of work.
The Syrian government is offering amnesty to protesters.  Their idea of amnesty is a little different from the norm.  Basically, they will reduce all sentences to the next lower level.  So, if you are a protester that they would normally sentence to death, they will grant you "amnesty" and only give you life in prison.
I'm always amazed by how crazy you can be and still run a country.
Onward...
"Craplet" is the term given to all the junk software that is preloaded onto a new computer.
China has launched another cyper attack on Google's gmail.  China denies it.
At the same time, we are in military talks with China.  Who out there thinks China will honor any treaty if it suits them to do otherwise?
A flight broke out on a plane because a guy reclined his seat into the space of the person behind him.  I've considered being that person (the one in the back).  I've come to accept the fact that if only one seat on the plane is reclined, it is the one directly in front of me.  I recline mine about half an inch.  If I don't, my head bobs as I try to sleep.  The slight recline shifts my head's center of gravity back far enough so I can sleep without fear of whiplash.
Greece has just received a Caa1 rating.  This means that if you lend them money, there is a 50% chance that they will not be able to pay you back.  Would you lend them money?
The United States will be joining Greece very soon if the debt ceiling is not raised.  Would anyone lend us money then?
I know, I know.  There are those out there that say, "We have plenty of money.  All we need to do is cut spending and then we will not need to borrow any."  Those people have no idea about the scope of our debt.  They are overestimating how much waste we have and how much money we are taking in.
If we are to remain a great nation, we need to be willing to pay for it.
This brings me to today's quote:
"It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference." Bear Bryant.
My spidy sense is tingling (yes, I have spidy sense), so I need to get going.
Up, up and away...
jim
Thanks for the clicks...
Remember, my blog has moved to http://jamesdillingham.com
Here is a cool video about a jet pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment